Volunteer Training, Time and Other Requirements
Our volunteer training program must be completed to ensure you understand Gilchrist’s mission, programs and services. It also prepares you for whatever responsibilities you will assume.
Gilchrist volunteers will:
- Become knowledgeable about our guiding philosophy of care.
- Understand the many physical and emotional challenges confronting seriously ill individuals and their families.
- Make a commitment to serve from two to four hours a week for a minimum of one year. Volunteers can choose to work during daytime, evenings or weekends.
- Be caring, sensitive and mature.
- Enter a home without judging or needing to impose their own beliefs.
- Be flexible and unafraid of spending time with individuals experiencing the physical and emotional effects of a debilitating illness.