Volun- teen Program
Gilchrist has volunteer opportunities for teens ages 14 to 18, through its Volun-teen program.
What will you do?
Visit patients in skilled nursing or long-term care facilities to:
- Provide companionship
- Play games
- Listen to music
- Write letters
- Help with life review
- Create art projects or crafts
What’s in it for you?
- Community service hours
- Satisfaction of helping someone who may be lonely
- The opportunity to meet other teens with common interests
- Training and mentorship that will prepare you to interact with patients and families
- Valuable experience with a nationally recognized, nonprofit leader in end-of-life care
How do you become a volunteer?
- Two letters of recommendation (one from a teacher and the other from a guidance counselor)
- Signed parental consent
- 16 hours of in-person training, plus regular get-togethers with other Volun-teens
- A willingness to make a 6-month commitment to volunteer at least 6 hours per month